Cadbury: quickly looking up

This blog is dedicated to my friends who wish me well in life, and is dedicated to their optimism, and my own growing sense of possibility.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Cadbury's Healthy Breakfast

I eat this almost every morning:

Oatmeal cooked in orange juice (less fluid than normal so it's very sticky). Add lots of cinnamon and ground clove while orange juice is coming to a boil. Cubed apple.



Whole wheat low fat pitas:



Yes, I know it's blurry - I had the camera tucked under my chin on timer. Mrs_C and son still have my tripod from their holiday.



And on a plate. In the morning I will throw them in a bag and eat them in the car while driving son to school and me to work.



I put the rest in a sealed container in the fridge for the next several days.

[later edit extracted from an email to nowhere girl who is going to give it a try]

it sticks to my ribs until noon - remember: it will absorb all that coffee/fluid you drink so it literally expands a bit in your stomach - so you will feel more full a short while after you finish eating

some tips:

1) i use about 2-3 cups of quick oatmeal with about equal orange juice (normal ratio: 1:1.25 fluid) and between 5-7 granny smith apples - i bought one of those wedge sectioning/coring things (you can see it behind the clove in the picture) to make it all faster
2) other apples than granny smith go mushy quicker
3) give the oatmeal a little time to cool before mixing it with the apples or you will begin to cook the apples and the texture difference between the oatmeal and the ultra-crisp sour granny smith apples is key to the whole thing
4) use a big enough pot - the orange juice foams up, especially after you put the cinnamon into it
5) make sure you stir as you are adding the cinnamon - otherwise it will clump/lump like flour in gravy
6) use LOTS of cinnamon - LOTS - like 2-3 tablespoons or even a little more
7) i put about 5 or 6 shakes of ground clove in - too much makes it a little bitter for my taste
8) the pitas tear easily - careful how you load them - i usually pile it on at the top (like the pic), then lay it flat and use the edge of my left hand at the back of the pita to hold it while i use the spoon to push/pack the mixture in
9) if the mixture is kept in the fridge in a sealed container only opened in the morning it will start to go "off" in about 5-6 days (i'm usually done [at 4 pita halves per day] in 4 days so i'm good)

4 Comments:

At August 31, 2006 7:38 AM, Blogger Nobody said...

YUM!!!

So you use just a little less liquid. I'm not kidding... totally cooking this!!!

 
At September 01, 2006 12:50 PM, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Sounds good. I may try it. There's a type of apple that made its start in this part of the world called 'northern spy' that I may use instead of the granny smiths, though. Almost as tart, just as crispy, and with more 'apple' taste for my...er...tastes. And there's an orchard full of them a few miles from my house. If you ever find one, I suggest you give it a try.

And I may go with oat bran instead of oatmeal. I'm funny that way.

Oh, and I tagged you.

Sorry.

Yeharr

 
At June 06, 2008 1:34 PM, Blogger Miss Awesome said...

Mmmm orange juice- I never thought of that. Sometimes I mix applesauce or canned pumpkin in my oatmeal.

 
At November 11, 2009 11:48 AM, Blogger Mrs. Hall said...

for lunch, i enjoy a nuked sweet potato (like 7 minutes) sprinkled with garganzola cheese.

then, if i wanna be fancy about it, i chop some leeks and sprinkle thusly.

which is a taste sensation I tells ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home